Saturday, June 16, 2012

HOW TO FIX THE KNICKS.......
      As a New Yorker and a huge NBA fan I always hear about the sage which is the New York Knicks. Most New Yorkers that love basketball are Knicks fans and have a great passion for the Knicks. When things are going good for  the Knicks they  are the best team in the league. When things are bad you would think Knick fans are fans of the Bobcats. Watching the Knicks I have a few ideas a suggestions that I think the Knicks should do to make them a legit contender. Before I start this I would like everyone to know that I am not a Knicks fan I am a fan of the Chicago Bulls so there is no fan bias here.
     The Knicks have a "big three" with Carmelo Anthony, A'mare Stoudemire, and Tyson Chandler. The first thing I would do is break it up. I would keep Carmelo cause he is the second best scorer in the NBA and a top 10 player. Hes a franchise player there is no way I move him. I keep Tyson Chandler who in my mind is the 2nd best defensive center in the NBA and changed that Knicks defense for the better. Those are two solid players to build around. Now that leaves one player Amare. Amare just hasn't been the same since Melo came to the Knicks. Between the points going down and the injuries Amare is  a shell of himself. No to mention the last two postseasons his bone head injuries he got by doing stuff off before and after the game.
    Now the hard part is how do you move him? With his bad contract and injuries this will be very hard to do. The only good thing is that Gilbert Areanes got moved with his bad contract and he was in a lot worst shape then Amare is right now. So I would take any real offer I can get for him. Maybe a trade with the Nets if they miss out on getting a big star. The most likely is the Knicks trading him to a team that dose not have a star or drawing power. Teams like the Bobcats for players like DJ Auggistine and Tyrus Thomas. Get anything you can for him and remove yourself form Amare.
   Next I keep Linn and give him a whole off season and training camp to work with Melo and Chandler. Linn is a good solid PG to have if you dont ask him to do to much. The catch with that is I would keep him as a player off the bench if I could. If I cant get a point guard by trading Amare this would leave room to pick up a Jason Kidd or Steve Nash. Yes are old but still are really good passers and are timely three point shooters. You get them a year or two and develop Linn some more.
   Another thing is I keep Iman Shumpert and trade Fields. Shumpert is one of the better defenders in the NBA he became a big part of the Knicks team this year and you stick him with Melo and Chandler he can really grow as a player. Now I would trade Fields mainly because he just looks lost the latter in the year the Knicks go. I try to trade him during this years draft and get any draft pick I can weather it be in round one or two. You get a new young hungry player in this years draft a draft that is pretty deep so maybe the Knicks can get a player that can predouce for the next few years.
     The final thing I would do is two things in one. Rebuild the bench by getting younger and building through the draft. The one problem I always had with the Knicks is they never build through the draft. They need to get younger and stop having a bench with all older players and guys who are only good at one part of the game. They need to get younger and more elusive on the bench. This wound up hurting them in the playoffs when you had to Heat all over Novack knowing all he can do is shoot a three. They also had Baron Davis who in spurts was good but in the long hall of the series couldnt keep up with Miamis young legs. This would take a couple years but if you slowly get younger and develop your own players and build them around a star you have a shot.
     I know that these things sound hard to do and I dont think or expect the Knicks to do all of them or any of them. These are just thoughts I have for the Knicks. I know its hard to trader stars and build through the draft in New York, but New York fans rather have a team of young hungry players playing hard then have there team playing a old beat up star.

1 comment: